Thursday, August 19, 2010

message to god; leunig


For Christmas this year my god mother Jackie Fairy gave me a book called 'A Common Prayer' by Leunig. Leunig is a very famous cartoonist and author who is regularly published in 'the Age' (an Australian newspaper). I'm not a religious person, but reading these little prayers really inspired me. They are just about asking God/The Universe for different things, or being grateful for what you do have. Here are a few examples and then I'll make my own:

'God give us rain when we expect sun.
Give us music when we expect trouble.
Give us tears when we expect breakfast.
Give us dreams when we expect a storm.
Give us a stray dog when we expect congratulations.
God play with us, turn us sideways and around.
AMEN.'
~
'Dear God,
When we fall, let us fall inwards.
Let us fall freely and completely; that we may find our depth and humility:
the solid earth from which we may rise up and love again.
AMEN.'

Here's my attempt at it;;
Dear God,
Give us the strength to ignore the things that are wrong,
and focus on the things that are right.
Give us empty streets & the confidence to say what we feel.
Help us to sleep when we cannot & take away this terrible sense of foreboding. Please make everything a bit easier; we're finding it hard to cope right now.
AMEN.