Monday, May 5, 2014

light reflects from your shadow, it is more than i thought could exist.


The art of losing isn't hard to master; 
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster,

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

- Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not too hard to master
though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.

 —Elizabeth Bishop

***

Things to do when you think of me:
-Watch In Her Shoes on DVD (because we used to be just like that)
-Listen to Horrorshow, Macklemore or Kanye West
-Think of all the horrible things that happened and my response to them (I cut out obituaries, lent dresses for funerals & sent thousands of thoughtful texts on birthdays & anniversaries - why couldn't you just stick around?)
-Make a cup of tea, bake a cake or read the paper without finding some small aspect which I might also appreciate or enjoy
-Paint a picture of Europe
-Place flowers in a vase
(and most importantly...)
-Let go and find peace from your pain