Wednesday, May 14, 2014

the voice of love seemed to call to me, but it was a wrong number.


Things that helped (which I didn't notice at the time):

-Diary for tracking moods and making lists
-Calender diary for keeping busy/organised
-Conferences/PDs to learn about trauma and illness and meet others with personal or professional interest
-Part time university studies (particularly my English writing subject)
-Volunteering at a local childcare for kids with special needs
-Being on a regular government support pension
-Established email communication with friends and professionals such as Alaska, Forerunner, my Danish MI twin Elisabeth, Bubbles and Rickman
-Beautiful friends who keep me grounded and silly; Felly, Kit-Cat, Miss Clare or Magnus
-Reducing my chemist visits (weekly pick ups sucked)
-Moving out of Plentyl Rd
-Glasses for my eye fatigue
-Iron tablets for general fatigue
-Holidays away to Sale, Point Lonsdale, Barwon Heads and Portsea
-Lowering my Effexor from quintuple the adult dosage, to just over triple per day (aim to be on a low grade therapeutic dose by the end of this year)
-Involvement with families like Lis and Bubble's
-Exploration of my faith via Church and self-directed reading
-Free audio text reading software to help combat my problems with concentration and fatigue (thanks to my uni support worker for that handy tip) and online grocery shopping and delivery (thanks to Alaska for that suburb bit of ingenuity!)
-Working on my life resume and gaining skills towards recovery
-Feeling empowered by others or organisations to advocate for policy reform and my own well-being
-Moving away from studying Health Science and into a BA in English
-Regular cafes and non anxiety provoking places such as High St or uni
-Cameron (my current therapist) not CAT with Susie
-Action plan for my skin
-Improved weather (sunshine helps)
-Seeing less of people who hurt, undermine, agitate or dismiss
-Going on the contraceptive pill
-Valium for deeper REM sleep (not just to knock me out or chase the demons away)
-Support from external help services like the Mental Illness Fellowship and Carers VIC (two organisations who get it right)
-Emails and lunches with Teli in Belgrave
-Well fitted bras and comfy clothes in general (especially leggings, loose flowing tops and jelly sandals)
-Watching a series of recorded shows rather than DVD marathons, including New Tricks and the Good Wife (also background noise' shows such as Q&A and Media Watch)
-Books/articles on mental illness and trauma (especially by Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison - my hero and poetry by Richard Siken)
-Mantras such as you have time or I am blessed
-No more crisis assessment team (CAT) interventions
-Tattoos over scars
-Allowing myself time for things to get better

*

No comments: