Friday, July 4, 2014

i do not like going to the laundromat and had to wear my little black dress to a dentist appointment last week.


“Tell me how all this, and love too, will ruin us.

These, our bodies, possessed by light.
Tell me we'll never get used to it.”

―Richard Siken

Motifs in Richard Siken's poetry:
-Apples
-Broken glass
-Dreams
-Using light to mark time passing
-Theatre and film
-Pet names (in direct address)
-Skin holding emotions in (distruction of self?)
-Alcohol, pills, cigarettes
-Dogs
-Bedrooms
-Food you can eat for breakfast
-Blood vs. mud
-Backyards
-Wearing Henry(his dead boyfriend)'s clothing
-Ice, snow
-Weeds
-Stars
-Lakes, boats sailing
-Highways, gravel, driving
-Shadows
-Heroes, fairytales
-Windows
-Bullets lodged inside the body

Swallowed objects include:
-Glass
-Mud
-Rocks
-Asphelts
-Blood
-Meat (steak)
-Bullets

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine...
I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
―Richard Siken

No comments: