Wednesday, August 20, 2014

sometimes skulls are thick. sometimes hearts are vacant. sometimes words don’t work.


“Eric called Al's suicide brave, and he was wrong. My mother's death was brave. I remember how calm she was, how determined. It isn't just brave that she died for me; it is brave that she did it without appearing to consider another option.” —Veronica Roth

Dear Veronica,
Have you ever lost a loved one to suicide? Have you, yourself, ever considered suicide? Why do you seem determined to portray suicide as a sin, a cop-out, a cowardly act? Why do you insist on perpetuating Christian ideology of suicide as a sin in modern teenage fiction?
Although I really enjoyed your book series Divengent, it constantly referred to Al's suicide as selfish and cowardly, yet when both Tris's parents sacrifice themselves in war in suicidal missions, they are portrayed as heroes and idols. In Insurgent, Tris chooses to sacrifice herself to save the lives of others. Although she survives, she often regrets on her reckless behaviour in later chapters, deaming it selfish and cowardly. Tris decides that the true definition of a hero is someone who sacrifices their life for purely selfless reasons; for love or to protect others, nothing more and nothing less.
I want to write more about my personal experiences...how my friends who have attempted suicide or lost their lives to suicide are some of the bravest people I know (knew). How psychiatric pain and suffering if unimaginable and unexplainable. How suicide often seems like a reasonable response to unreasonable circumstances. But I think these personal anecdotes will have little influence, so I will just leave it there.
Please don't glorify suicide missions in combat and then belittle suicide in response to everyday pain. There is no such thing as a “right way to die or even a proper way to choose death. It is always a tragedy to lose someone close to you, and they should be remembered for their character as a person, not for the circumstances surrounding their death.
Yours sincerely, Erimentha

I don't mean to be such a mess, I say, my voice cracking. I just feel so...’ I shake my head. It's wrong, he says, it doesn't matter if your parents are in a better place - they aren't here with you, and that's wrong, Tris. It shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have happened to you. And anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar.” Veronica Roth

No comments: