Tuesday, February 10, 2015

i've been an atheist for a long time - ever since i first heard that there was only a stairway to heaven.


The following quotes are taken from the fantastic article 'Unspeakable Conversations' by Harriet McBryde Johnson. I read this article shortly after Stella Young's death and it resonated with me on so many levels; epecially as someone intimately touched by suicide and therefore having a unique perspective on euthanasia, and also as someone who has grown up with many friends who might describe themselves as "crip" too.

-

I proceed to the heart of my argument: that the presence or absence of a disability doesn't predict quality of life.
I learn it is partly that both biological and adoptive parents prefer healthy babies. But I have trouble with basing life-and-death decisions on market considerations when the market is structured by prejudice.

I've never claimed to be free of prejudice, just struggling with it.

But Carol Gill says that it is differential treatment - disability discrimination - to try to prevent most suicides while facilitating the suicides of ill and disabled people.

The case for assisted suicide rests on stereotypes that our lives are inherently so bad that it is entirely rational if we want to die.

What worries me most about the proposals for legalized assisted suicide is their veneer of beneficence - the medical determination that, for a given individual, suicide is reasonable or right. It is not about autonomy but about non-disabled people telling us what's good for us.

I've never been able to sustain righteous anger for more than about 30 minutes at a time. My view of life tends more toward tragedy.

I think all preferences are moot once you kill someone. The injury is entirely to the surviving community.

No comments: